What do I include in my cover letter heading?
"Writing Your Cover Letter" is a series of short documents that walks you through the creation of a cover letter. Here you can see the information in the "Quick Tips for Cover Letters" and "Preparing to Write a Cover Letter" pages put to use. This page guides you through adapting your experiences to the content in your cover letter and its different sections.
Contributors:Angie Olson, Allen Brizee
Last Edited: 2010-04-25 08:58:10
The heading provides your contact information, the date you are writing, and the address of the company to which you are applying.
For your contact information, you will want to include the following:
- Your name
- The address where you can be reached (if you live at college, will it be more accessible to include the local address or your permanent address?)
- Phone number
- Fax number (if applicable)
- E-mail address
Then, you will skip a line and write the full date (month, day, year). Follow this by skipping a space and writing the contact information for the person to whom you are writing:
- Name of the specific person
- Title of that person (if available)
- Address of the company
The reason you write your phone/fax number and email address is to make it easy for the company to contact you. You do not need to put this information down for the company itself.
Craig M. Leroix
2987 W. Taylor Dr.
Portland, OR 45720
February 2, 2005
Amy Kincaid, Human Resource Director
Western Electric, Inc.
387 Collier Lane
Atlanta, Georgia 30051
Job seekers at Purdue University may find value in the Purdue career Wiki here.
The following are additional Purdue OWL resources to help you write your cover letter:
Painter Cover Letter
Painters are construction and maintenance experts responsible for applying paint to various surfaces. They are hired by painting contractors, maintenance contractors, and hospitality units, or they can be self-employed. Primary responsibilities of a Painter include: mixing and matching paint, cleaning walls, filling and leveling irregularities, applying pre-coating agents, following technical specifications, erecting scaffolding, purchasing paint and brushes, negotiating prices, and applying second coats when needed.
Employers select cover letters highlighting the following Painter qualifications:
- Knowledge of painting techniques and being able to understand technical specifications
- Dexterity and good eye-hand coordination
- Attention to details and accuracy
- Being able to work at heights
- Attention to safety
- Time management
- Good numeracy skills
- ReliabilityA well-written Painter example cover letter showcasing similar skills is displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Painter Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Painter check out our more complete Painter Job Description.
Dear Mr. Russell:
It is with great interest that I submit to you the enclosed resume in response to your posting for a new Painter to join your crew. As a highly skilled and detail-focused professional with more than 12 years of experience in indoor/outdoor painting jobs, I possess a range of knowledge and expertise that will allow me to contribute toward the success of your business.
My background includes performing comprehensive tasks to facilitate both small- and large-scale painting projects, including residential and commercial applications. From preparing job sites and applying pre-coating agents to removing old paints and matching colors, I excel at ensuring the highest attention to detail excellence while maximizing productivity and efficiency. Additionally, my established success in working collaboratively in team-oriented environments positions me to make a significant contribution to your crew.
The following achievements demonstrate my qualification for this position:
- Amassing in-depth experience and knowledge in the various painting techniques for both indoor and outdoor application using a range of hand and power tools.
- Working an average of 4 sites per day as a painter with The Color Pot, Inc; meeting all specific customer requests in a timely and professional matter and generating high levels of repeat and referral business.
- Picking up and cleaning all work areas each day to minimize mess and elevate customer satisfaction.
- Selected to train and mentor new crew members due to superior leadership skills and high-precision painting techniques.
My proven aptitude in a breadth of painting techniques and tools, along with my acute ability to provide an exceptional level of customer service, will contribute immensely to the success of Russell Painting. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Murray S. Lovato